Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Day three in Colombia April 2007

PRENOTE: I apologize after I wrote this e-mail I found that I can´t download the pictures I had wanted to (use your imagination)!

It seems like most of the responses I got to my "Day Two" e-mail had to do with the "caliente colombianas" so I will continue along that theme for those of you that were brave enough to express your enthusiasm and curiosity for that aspect of Colombian culture.

Two things that I noticed today on this subject:

1. Bathroom signs: Gone are the blue signs showing guys with pants and girls in dresses, in these new signs the girls are being replaced with anatomically descriptive women in tights! Don´t take my word for it, I have attached the picture!

2. The manikins in store fronts are no longer providing just a prop for clothing; instead the models are voluptuous in all the right places (too "yellow" to take the picture myself I had Sandra do it for us guys!). How did they stretch those jeans around that?

We went to Lake Guatavita today, source of the famed El Dorado myth (I am providing the link so you can read of the history of this place if you care to). We were a car-full of seven crazy family members of Sandra´s and me (crazy when together and by their own admission). I offer as evidence of the craziness the following: It seems to me that once we arrive at a destination we all somehow disperse in opposite directions just to find each other almost randomly when the time is right. Alas, though we all know that I don´t speak much Spanish, it seems to me that in the car there are always seven different and vocal opinions as to where to eat, what road to take, what time it is, etc (somehow everybody is right at the end of the conversation and all are happy).
Anyway, this lake is at about 3,000 meters altitude and requires a 1.5K hike to reach. Sandra´s 80+ year old grandmother put us to shame doing the hike while talking the whole way up (and down). When I leave Colombia next week I won´t say that I left my heart in Colombia but I can earnestly say that I feel like I left a lung there!

Let´s see, what else can I mention about today...
We almost hit a horse on the road.
We got stuck following a herd of cows on a country road (and one of them kept turning back and giving us the evil look).
Toilet paper cannot be found in the stall. The one roll for all stalls (usually one roll for all the women and men stalls) is outside the bathrooms in a conspicuous place. You better know this before you sit down (fortunately I have observed this and will be prepared when the time comes).
Colombians in Sandra´s family eat four meals a day (all of them involve getting stuffed).
Not all pretty fruit taste good. You can click here to see pictures and descriptions of some Colombian fruit but I will stay clear of the "prickly pear" from now on.

We have another early morning trip today.

Christos en Colombia

No comments: